Aug 25, 2007

Red Herring

I haven't been to Mexicali Blues in awhile, but the last time I went was quite memorable. I saw Herring, Rodgers, Sipe & Fountain, a jam-fusion supergroup of sorts. I'm a big fan of Jimmy Herring's guitar playing, particularly with ARU and Jazz Is Dead. I know some people think it's "clinical", but man, he just burns it up!

There's a version of Les Brers he did with Derek during the Allmans 2000 tour that was as fiery as any Allman show ever, period. (I'll try to find this and add a link in the next couple of days.)

Anyway, here's a link to a seriously burning opening jam from HRS at Mexicali, 8/11/06. Whole show over here at archive.org
(And while Neil Fountain may not be the next Jaco, he is probably the most talented bass player I've seen since.)

No comments: