Feb 21, 2009

sxsw time again!



Wow, you're still here? Yeah clearly I don't do much on TRF anymore...but when SXSW rolls around, I can't resist!

So, the first 280 mp3s are online...No official torrent (again), boo. But, I got a little help downloading the whole set and have done the first triage round, and although I wind up overly partial to more familiar/old-school production values (and maybe miss a few gems), here's a smattering of what's made the cut for me so far:

Seth Walker -- This year's James Hunter. Sweet soul music, on the bill with Eli Paperboy Reed at the Continental. I'll be there!

Dear and the Headlights? Ew! Awful name, pretty good straight up power pop rock.

Smokekiller -- Okkervil fans, you liked the last one, but this is so calling your name.

Moonlight Towers -- ok sure it's kinda derivative, Fratellis/Oasis, but that works for me

Cotton Jones, just what you'd expect with a name like that. Southern twang in the voice; a folk-rock sound right off Blonde on Blonde.

Caroline Herring, is pure Passim trad folk. Nicely done, good voice, a pro.

Jackie Bristow...very radio-friendly country/folk/pop tune, but I am a total sucker for the B3 fills underneath a shimmery Tele over the top, and her voice is pretty good.

Raydibaum -- Familiar-sounding rock from Barcelona (a serious rock & roll town)

Los Claxons - 1 shot each Los Lonely Boys, John Mayer, Jason Mraz, add ice and salt the glass

Grecco Buratto -- maybe I'm just into foreign languages this year? Dunno, nice Brazilian feeling pop tune.

Did I miss something great? Enlighten me! And where are the Jersey bands this year?

No comments: